Meet Our Current Doulas
- Melissa Groat
* College of the Rockies certified Doula
* Trauma Toolbox training for trauma-informed care
* Offering personalized birth education classes
* Experience in home birth
* Happily serving the Comox Valley and Campbell River
“I’m starting my journey in Doula care to offer birthing people straightforward, evidence-based care in a non-judgemental, light-hearted way. I’m here to keep you feeling confident in your choices and offer knowledge based in science, research and experience.”
Low cost opportunities for all of 2021
- Serena Oliveira
Availability: Currently taking clients
* Owner and operator of Birthing Freedom Holistic & Educational Services for 14 years!
* Certified Traditional Birth Attendant (2007)
* Wise Woman Way of Birth Doula Certification (2009)
*Certified Fertility Massage Therapist (2019)
*Certified Prenatal & Birth Massage Doula (2019)
*Certified Birth Coach (2020)
*Certified Birth Photographer (2020)
*Local weekly postpartum group facilitator (Mamacentric and Baby & Me) since 2016
* Experienced in providing holistic nurturing care and advocacy for home, hospital, cesarean and VBAC births
* Welcoming and experienced in working with diverse families including LBGTQ and teens.
* Provider of comprehensive lactation support and extensive postpartum care
* Holistic educator for informed consent, informed choice and up to date evidence-based education for the childbearing year (conception, pregnancy, birth & postpartum)
* Rad mom to 2 bright boys, both born at home in the Comox Valley
*As a woman of colour, inclusivity and respect to diversity in traditions, backgrounds and walks of life are something that I integrate in both my personal and professional life.
"Acting from a place of empowerment is the ability to make decisions that best suit your desires and needs that are in alignment with your goals and values. Empowerment is when you know, feel and trust your incredible potential! My job is to support people in connecting with their whole being, and to nurture trust in their unique potential. There is no better time to embrace your own power than now!"
Areas of Service : City of Courtenay & Town of Comox, Village of Cumberland, Denman Island & Campbell River. I live and share and nurture on the traditional territories of the K’omoks First Nation (Puntledge, E'iksan, & K'òmoks), on the land of the Kwakwaka’wakw (Kwa-kwa-la) speaking peoples. As well as on the ancient lands and territories of the Qualicum Sliammon, Campbell River and Cape Mudge First Nations.
- Suzanne GunnSuzanne Gunn
*Infant Sleep Educator, trained with BeboMia
*Postpartum Doula, trained with Doula Canada
*Experience and training in neurodiversity
*Experience and training in postpartum mood disorders
*Experience with breastfeeding, cloth diapers and baby-led weaning
*Non-judgemental, open, compassionate and confidential care.
I welcome working with diverse families. LGBTQ+, neurodiverse, BIPOC
Mom of two sweet, amazing high-needs boys. Both Hypnobirthing babies, first born in a midwifery-led unit, second born at home.
I live in Courtenay and serve clients in their homes in the Comox Valley and surrounding areas and virtually worldwide.
“As a family and infant sleep coach, I promote healthy and nurturing sleep practices. I do not engage in any method of sleep training. I look at how we can get you and your family the rest you need while also nurturing your infant’s biological and neurological need for sleep and attachment. I focus on your health, along with your child’s. Very often, I see attachment-style parents sacrificing their needs in favour of their infants. I am here to help you both get the care you need. By working together, we will identify your challenges and goals to allow you and your family more rest during the challenging times.”
I happily work with the whole family, including any caregivers who have influence over your baby’s sleep.
Find me on Facebook and Instagram: @themotherloaddoula
- Sandy Falk
*DONA Certified Birth Doula CD(DONA) since 2012
*DONA trained Postpartum Doula
*Previously (before becoming a mother) Neonatal Intensive Care nurse
*Mother of 4 amazing grown children and grandmother to 4 and counting
*Experience with twin birth, teens, cesarean, hospital, and home births.
*Experienced in supporting Indigenous women with funding provided through the BC Association of Friendship Centers.
*Caring and compassionate communicator
*Live in Black Creek providing service in both Courtenay and Campbell River
Find me on Facebook @ www.facebook.com/HelpingHandsBirthDoulas
“I am honoured to support a woman and her partner through the miraculous process of childbirth. My desire is to give emotional and physical support with wisdom, sensitivity, and gentle care. I see value in preserving the birth story with photographic documentation if you wish.”
- Aidan Bradfield
Availability: Currently taking clients for Fall 2021 and Winter/Spring 2022.
First consultations are always free and come with no obligation—let’s connect about your needs for support!
Registered with the Doulas for Aboriginal Families Grant Program
* DONA International Birth Doula Training (2018).
* DONA International Certification in Progress.
* Bachelor’s degree focused on maternity care and community based health.
* Trauma-Informed Practice Training.
I welcome all people seeking doula care, including teens, single parents, surrogate, and LGBTQ individuals and families.
* Low-cost/no cost services are available for clients in need.
"I help people and families navigate pregnancy and birth—my support is compassionate, non-judgemental, and always centered on your needs, wishes, and choices. I offer labour and birth, postpartum, pregnancy loss, and abortion support. I believe that all pregnant or birthing people deserve kind, affirming, and evidence-based care. My work with each client serves this vision. Raised in Cumberland, I have lived in many communities across the province. My work and studies have focused on women’s health—I have conducted research on collaborative maternity care models and supported women and youth as a front-line violence-prevention worker. I am happy to offer my doula services to clients in my home communities in the Comox Valley."
I respectfully acknowledge that the land I live and work on is on the Unceded traditional territory of the K’ómoks First Nation, the traditional keepers of this land.
- Chelsea Reid
*DONA certified birth doula CD(DONA)
*Approved doula for the Doula for Aboriginal Family Grant Program
*Certified Breastfeeding support
*Mom to 3 happy kids, 3 home births, 2 with Plum Midwifery
*Many years of first aid training
*Comfortable supporting all types of births and families.
*Birth Pool Rentals
*Live centrally in the Comox Valley, so able to attend many locations quickly
"I believe that any family should have unbiased, knowledgeable support during their pregnancy, labour, and post partum period. With almost 10 years experience and 3 of my own births, I know just how different every birth can be, and how having a doula can benefit. I am deeply honoured to be able to be apart of each and every birth story, and to be able to walk along side new parents as they welcome their new baby."
- Kimberley Moldenhauer
- DONA trained birth doula working towards certification
- Certified Breastfeeding Support
- Qualified Remedial Massage Therapist through Rosemond Muscle Neurology in Australia
- Trained in Brazelton Touchpoints that supports families to understand their child’s developments or “touchpoints”. ~ “When we strengthen families, we ultimately strengthen the community” (Berry Brazelton MD)
- Mother of three young wonders
- Offering low cost birth support while working towards certification
Through the pregnancies, births, and postpartum periods with my three children, I gained experience and knowledge that I can now offer to women and families during the beautiful, and sometimes unpredictable, journey of becoming a mother and a family.
- Rebecca Cunningham Andre
I believe in women, in their power, in their ability to nurture and to be resourceful and
flexible. As an educator, I feel privileged to witness the anxieties lessen as questions
are explored and individuals and couples find themselves no longer strangers in the
birth/parenting world. We discuss informed consent and how to set intentions for
birthing on your own terms.
Spinning Babies® Parent Class uniquely addresses preparing for birth through
stretches and utilising positions that help the body to make room for the baby with the
aim to create more comfort in pregnancy and ease in birth.
As the mother of three vibrant and beautiful children, I have been challenged in my
beliefs about parenting practices and infant temperament after each birth.
Subsequently, each postpartum experience has presented unique joys and challenges,
for which a community of support was essential. I hope to offer this nurturing,
knowledge and practical help in solidarity to the women and families I serve.
* Lamaze Certified Childbirth Educator since 2010
* Spinning Babies® Parent Educator training, 2019
* Birthing From Within Birth Art Facilitator Course, 2019
* DONA certified Postpartum Doula, 2016
* Breastfeeding for Doulas training, 2016
* CPR certification, St.John Ambulance, 2021
* Prenatal Midwifery Care Course - distance education through Mercy In Action
Midwifery School 2016
* Birth Doula Training DONA International, 2011
(not currently offering birth doula service)
* B.Sc.Nursing, UBC, 2007 (experience working as an RN in hospital, primary care and
shelter setting with addictions, mental health, chronic health and maternal/newborn
* experience caring and nurturing women and families through pregnancy, childbirth
and postpartum through prenatal classes, one-on-one education, doula support,
* experience working with women and families in community and low-income settings
with trauma-informed approaches to care
* completed trainings for Vicarious Trauma, Exploring Urban Aboriginal Issues, Harm
Reduction in Pregnancy and Breastfeeding,
I believe “childbirth is a profound rite of passage, not just a medical event (though it
may involve medical expertise), and primarily a journey of self-discovery, not simply an
assimilation of obstetric information.”*
*England, P. & Horowitz, R., Birthing From Within, Partera Press, Albuquerque, New Mexico, 1998, p.XII.
If you are feeling overwhelmed with the decisions ahead, curious how you will connect
with your baby, determined to birth on your terms, or wondering how you will care for
a newborn and navigate the rest of your world, then Sage Mama is the place for you.
You will receive the information, care, support and nurturing you and your family need.
- Renee Taylor
I am a Mother, Doula and passionate practitioner of Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine.
After becoming a mother in 2007, my passion for pregnancy and childbirth led me to shift the focus of my Acupuncture practice to begin serving the childbearing families of Vancouver. I co-founded Acumamas Acupuncture and Doula Services in Vancouver in 2009 and had the honor in attending well over a hundred births including home and hospital births, water births, assisted deliveries, and Caesareans. I have treated thousands of pregnant women in my acupuncture practice and provided acupuncture in labour for countless clients.
It is a great joy for me to witness the incredible transformations my clients go through during their pregnancies and I am deeply honored each and every time I share in the miracle of childbirth.
“I believe birthing clients need to feel safe and supported to have the best birth experiences. As a doula, I hold space, help with comfort measures, offer non judgemental support while providing education and information to help couples confidently navigate their birthing journeys. I feel that no matter the birthing outcome, if clients are well supported, informed, in charge and feel safe, they will have a positive birth experiences.”
I am pleased to call the Comox Valley my new home, and although I am providing Acupuncture services at Panacea Massage and wellness in Comox, with 3 children (aged 13,10 and a new Covid baby), I am currently on Mat leave and not taking new Doula clients.
Availability: Currently taking clients in Winter (January-March 2022)
* Owner and operator of Sound Birth Services, offering Birth and Postpartum Doula services, Lactation services and Childbirth Education classes since 2015.
* DONA Certified Birth Doula, CD(DONA)
* Certified Prenatal Yoga Teacher (PYT)
* Certified Lactation Counselor, LC(CBI)
* Certified Childbirth Educator Dip.CBE(CBI)
* Lactation Support contractor for Comox Valley Family Services.
* Mother of 2 wild boys - 1 hospital birth, 1 home birth
* Certified Early Childhood Educator since 2002
* Knowledgeable in trauma-informed care, current resources and information pertaining to conception, pregnancy, birth, the early postpartum weeks, and lactation.
* Experience supporting pregnant people and their partners in both hospital and home settings - including cesarean sections.
* Open and welcoming to all expectant parents, including LGBTQ+ and teens
"Birth is a powerful, life-changing event in your life. I am in awe of the strength and natural birthing instincts a person has during labour and birth. My goals as your doula, and lactation specialist are to help you and your birth partner tap into your strengths, to nurture you, to encourage you, and to help you achieve your most desired and positive birth experience possible; leaving you feeling supported, listened to, empowered and divine."
CD(DONA), LC(CBI), PYT, ECE
I respectfully acknowledge the priviledge I have in living, working and playing on the unceded traditional territory of the K’òmoks First Nation (Puntledge, E'iksan, & K'òmoks)
- Kerry Collier
* DONA Certified Birth Doula CD(DONA) * Mother of 4 grown children and Grandmother of 5
* Experience with teen birth, cesarean birth, and VBAC
* Cultural Competency Training Certificate for supporting Indigenous women
* Excellent communicator and enjoy working as a team
* I live in Black Creek and serve Courtenay and Campbell River
* Certified/experienced in supporting Indigenous mothers, funded through the B.C. Association of Friendship Centers, for Aboriginal women (when funding available)
Find me on facebook: www.facebook.com/KerrysDoulaCare
"I love the miracle of childbirth and how unique each birth is. I like to empower women and their partners to have the most positive birth experience they can have. I bring a strong, calm presence to birth as well as my flexibility. Included in my service is a written photographic documentation of your birth."
- Christa Morin
* 500 hour Quantum Midwifery Program, The Matrona, 2010
* 4 Day Certified Holistic Doula Program, The Matrona, 2010
* 20 Hour Breastfeeding Certification, Douglas College, 2020
* Pelvic Floor Essentials for Caregivers, DTC, 2020
* 12 month Art of Birth, Naoli Vinaver, 2020-2021
* Certified Holistic Health Practitioner (CHHP), Windsong School of Healing 2011, including certification in Shiatsu Massage and Usui Reiki Levels 1 & 2
* Intermediate Herbal Program, Wildseed School, 2018
*Approved doula for families funded by Doula for Aboriginal Families Grant Program (DAFGP), through BC Association of Aboriginal Friendship Centres. For more information please follow this link: https://bcaafc.com/dafgp/
* Specialized in homebirth and physiologic birth
* Mother to two stunning children, one freebirth and one homebirth with Cedar House midwives
"Deeply devoted to caring for life, acutely sensitive and attuned to the requirements of the moment, offering the gentlest touch while remaining solidly grounded, Christa can be faithfully relied on to accompany you on one of life's most precious journeys." -R.L.
- Kim SheehanPostpartum DoulaKim SheehanPostpartum Doula
I am the very proud mama of three beautiful not so little children. Raising my children has and is one of the most challenging and rewarding experiences of my life. As a Postpartum Doula, I will help each family ease into the transition of parenthood or into a growing family offering guidance and support in a professional caring manner. I bring my life and motherhood experiences, in addition to a background in early childhood education and community support work.
Doula Canada~Certified Postpartum Doula
- Jody RichardsJody Richards
* DONA trained since 2000
* Prodoula Certified Birth Doula (2016)
* Prodoula Certified Postpartum and Infant Care Doula
* First Aid and CPR certified
* Offering private consultations on how to have your best birth
* Offering newborn care consultations which I guide you on how to make the most of the newborn stage and start off parenthood with confidence!
* I currently work in a partnership with Pamela Tessmann of Sound Birth Services.
* Some of you may know me as I am the Clinic manager at Cedar House Midwives
* Experience with VBAC, Cesarean birth, epidurals, multiples, water birth, homebirth, hospital, preterm, high risk and surrogacy.
* Happy to support all different styles of families: surrogate, single parents, LGBTQ
"After two decades of supporting families in the transition of parenthood, I recognize that one of the most valuable pieces of a positive birth experience is support. I believe strongly in non- judgmental support, and that your birth and parenting choices should be honoured. My life experience has given me the skill of being able to relate to people at their most vulnerable, while attuning to what you need, making you feel deeply nurtured and safe. My best tool I bring is a warm, gentle and calming presence. When I am not being a doula I am spending time being a mom to my daughter and I'm also a fibre artist. Some of you may also know me as the clinic manager at Cedar House Midwives."