Meet Our Current Doulas
- Kerry Collier
* DONA Certified Birth Doula CD(DONA) * Mother of 4 grown children and Grandmother of 5
* Experience with teen birth, cesarean birth, and VBAC
* Cultural Competency Training Certificate for supporting Indigenous women
* Excellent communicator and enjoy working as a team
* I live in Black Creek and serve Courtenay and Campbell River
* Certified/experienced in supporting First Nations mothers, funded through the B.C. Association of Friendship Centers, for Aboriginal women(when funding available)
Find me on facebook: www.facebook.com/KerrysDoulaCare
"I love the miracle of childbirth and how unique each birth is. I like to empower women and their partners to have the most positive birth experience they can have. I bring a strong, calm presence to birth as well as my flexibility. Included in my service is a written photographic documentation of your birth."
- Serena Oliveira
* Completed my Wise Woman Way of Birth Doula Certification with Gloria Lemay in 2009
* Experienced in providing holistic nurturing care and advocacy for home, hospital, cesarean and VBAC births
* Comfortable and experienced supporting families of various backgrounds and walks of life, including LBGTQ and young families
* Provider of comprehensive breastfeeding support and postpartum care
* Seasoned at offering informed consent, choice and up to date evidence-based education for the childbearing year (conception, pregnancy, birth & postpartum)
* Mother of 2 wildly-willed boys, both born at home in the Comox Valley
"On the other side of fear, there is freedom. Freedom is felt in the embrace of your power."
- Kimberley Moldenhauer
- DONA trained birth doula working towards certification
- Certified Breastfeeding Support
- Qualified Remedial Massage Therapist through Rosemond Muscle Neurology in Australia
- Trained in Brazelton Touchpoints that supports families to understand their child’s developments or “touchpoints”. ~ “When we strengthen families, we ultimately strengthen the community” (Berry Brazelton MD)
- Mother of three young wonders
- Offering low cost birth support while working towards certification
Through the pregnancies, births, and postpartum periods with my three children, I gained experience and knowledge that I can now offer to women and families during the beautiful, and sometimes unpredictable, journey of becoming a mother and a family.
- Christine Pritchard
* DONA trained birth doula(working towards certification)
* Mother of three daughters(hospital births with a midwife)
* Offering low cost/no cost birth while working on certification
"Pregnancy and childbirth can be one of the most wonderful yet frightening times in a woman's life. With a calm, quiet demeanour, I provide mothers, their partners and families with reassurance through this time. I'll help make the wonderful more wonderful and the frightening a little easier to cope with."
- Christa Morin
* 500 hour Quantum Midwifery Program, The Matrona, 2010
* 4 Day Certified Holistic Doula Program, The Matrona, 2010
* 20 Hour Breastfeeding Certification, Douglas College, 2020
* Pelvic Floor Essentials for Caregivers, DTC, 2020
* 12 month Art of Birth, Naoli Vinaver, 2020-2021
* Certified Holistic Health Practitioner (CHHP), Windsong School of Healing 2011, including certification in Shiatsu Massage and Usui Reiki Levels 1 & 2
* Intermediate Herbal Program, Wildseed School, 2018
*Approved doula for families funded by Doula for Aboriginal Families Grant Program (DAFGP), through BC Association of Aboriginal Friendship Centres. For more information please follow this link: https://bcaafc.com/dafgp/
* Specialized in homebirth and physiologic birth
* Mother to two stunning children, one freebirth and one homebirth with Cedar House midwives
"Deeply devoted to caring for life, acutely sensitive and attuned to the requirements of the moment, offering the gentlest touch while remaining solidly grounded, Christa can be faithfully relied on to accompany you on one of life's most precious journeys." -R.L.
- Kim SheehanKim Sheehan
I am the very proud mama of three beautiful not so little children. Raising my children has and is one of the most challenging and rewarding experiences of my life. As a Postpartum Doula, I will help each family ease into the transition of parenthood or into a growing family offering guidance and support in a professional caring manner. I bring my life and motherhood experiences, in addition to a background in early childhood education and community support work.
***During my certifying process, I am happy to negotiate a lower rate.
Doula Canada~Certifying Postpartum Doula
- Leah Taylor
Coordinator of Comox Valley Doulas Collective
* DONA Certified doula CD(DONA), MA
* Mother of two phenomenal people (both premature births)
* Over 11 years' experience providing evidence-based compassionate doula care in home and hospital environments.
* Experienced in supporting mothers through planned/urgent Cesarean birth, VBAC, teen births, twins, high-risk or premature labour/birth
* Excellent professional connections with local midwives/physicians, public health and hospital staff.
* A mentor/educator on evidence-based perinatal research; member of perinatal advisory committees
* Trained in breastfeeding and respectful, non-judgmental newborn care
"Media has taught women to fear birth; but the truth is that pregnancy and childbirth can be the most powerful, empowering and miraculous experiences in a woman's life. It's an honour to be able to provide women and their birthing partners with quality information, skilled support and competent, compassionate care so your birthing experience is a positive experience for all."
- Abby BuckleyAbby Buckley
* DONA trained (with Mothering Touch) Birth and Postpartum Doula in process of completing certification
* Certified Breastfeeding support
* Working towards a Midwifery degree
* Extensive childcare experience
* Comfortable supporting military personnel as I was raised in a military family
* Open minded and adaptable, I support moms and families through the complexities of cesareans, adoptions, LGBTQ relationships, young families, large families, and teen pregnancies.
“I have always wanted to support people my whole life, and when I found out what Doulas do, I knew that’s what I wanted to be. While certifying with DONA, I’m willing to negotiate lower rates for birth doula support. I have over a decade of childcare experience and would love to help moms care for their little ones, postpartum.
No matter what you do, who you are, and whether this is your first or your fourth baby, if you need support, I will be there for you!”
* DONA trained since 2000
* Prodoula Certified Birth Doula (2016)
* Prodoula Certified Postpartum and Infant Care Doula
* First Aid and CPR certified
*Offering private consultations on how to have your best birth
*Offering newborn care consultations which I guide you on how to make the most of the newborn stage and start off parenthood with confidence!
*Currently accepting limited birth clients and evening and weekend postpartum support, as I also work full time as the clinic manager at Cedar House Midwives
* Live in Black Creek, for a quick commute to either Campbell River or Courtenay
* Experience with VBAC, Cesarean birth, epidurals, multiples, water birth, homebirth, hospital, preterm, high risk and surrogacy.
* Happy to support all different styles of families: surrogate, single parents, LGBTQ
"After two decades of supporting families in the transition of parenthood, I recognize that one of the most valuable pieces of a positive birth experience is support. I believe strongly in non- judgmental support, and that your birth and parenting choices should be honoured. My life experience has given me the skill of being able to relate to people at their most vulnerable, while attuning to what you need, making you feel deeply nurtured and safe. My best tool I bring is a warm, gentle and calming presence. When I am not being a doula I am spending time being a mom to my daughter and I'm also a fibre artist.Some of you may also know me as the clinic manager at Cedar House Midwives."
- Renee Taylor
I am a Mother, Doula and passionate practitioner of Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine.
After becoming a mother in 2007, my passion for pregnancy and childbirth led me to shift the focus of my Acupuncture practice to begin serving the childbearing families of Vancouver. I co-founded Acumamas Acupuncture and Doula Services in Vancouver in 2009 and had the honor in attending well over a hundred births including home and hospital births, water births, assisted deliveries, and Caesareans. I have treated thousands of pregnant women in my acupuncture practice and provided acupuncture in labour for countless clients.
It is a great joy for me to witness the incredible transformations my clients go through during their pregnancies and I am deeply honored each and every time I share in the miracle of childbirth.
“I believe birthing clients need to feel safe and supported to have the best birth experiences. As a doula, I hold space, help with comfort measures, offer non judgemental support while providing education and information to help couples confidently navigate their birthing journeys. I feel that no matter the birthing outcome, if clients are well supported, informed, in charge and feel safe, they will have a positive birth experiences.”
I am pleased to call the Comox Valley my new home, and although I am providing Acupuncture services at Panacea Massage and wellness in Comox, with 3 children (aged 13,10 and a new Covid baby), I am currently on Mat leave and not taking new Doula clients.
- Sandy Falk
*DONA Certified Birth Doula CD(DONA) since 2012
*DONA trained Postpartum Doula
*Previously (before becoming a mother) Neonatal Intensive Care nurse
*Mother of 4 amazing grown children and grandmother to 4 and counting
*Experience with twin birth, teens, cesarean, hospital, and home births.
*Experienced in supporting Indigenous women with funding provided through the BC Association of Friendship Centers.
*Caring and compassionate communicator
*Live in Black Creek providing service in both Courtenay and Campbell River
Find me on Facebook @ www.facebook.com/HelpingHandsBirthDoulas
“I am honoured to support a woman and her partner through the miraculous process of childbirth. My desire is to give emotional and physical support with wisdom, sensitivity, and gentle care. I see value in preserving the birth story with photographic documentation if you wish.”
About Me:* Owner and operator of Sound Birth Services* DONA Certified Birth Doula, CD(DONA)
* Certified Prenatal Yoga Teacher (PYT)* Certified Lactation Counselor, LC(CBI)* Facilitator of Plum Midwifery's on-line Group Prenatal Classes* Co-facilitator of Healthy Babies Group with Comox Valley Family Services.
* Mother of 2 wild boys - 1 hospital birth, 1 home birth
* Certified Early Childhood Educator since 2002
* Knowledgeable in current resources and information pertaining to conception, pregnancy, birth, the early postpartum weeks, and breastfeeding.
* Experience supporting pregnant people and their partners in both hospital and home settings.
* Open and welcoming to all expectant parents, including LGBTQ and teens
"Birth is a powerful, life-changing event in your life. I am in awe of women's strength and natural birthing instincts during labour and birth. My goals as your doula are to help you and your birth partner tap into your strengths, to nurture you, to encourage you, and to help you achieve your most desired and positive birth experience possible; leaving you feeling supported, listened to, empowered and divine."
Comox Valley Doulas