Steps to Becoming a Certified Doula
As public awareness of the many benefits of doula care increases, more women are not only hiring doulas but are looking into how to become a doula! Th...
Mid Island Baby & Kids Market and Doulas!
We are excited to be participating once again the Mid Island Baby and Kids Market on Sunday, November 5 at 10:00-4:00 at the Native Sons Hall in Court...
Doulas are the Good Gravy & I Wish They Were Free!! by Serena Oliveira (doula)
Money and doulas. Wouldn't it be nice if money, AND doulas grew on trees!? This would definitely stir things up! We live in a world where invest...
WHO WE ARE
The Comox Valley Doulas are a group of women from diverse backgrounds who offer professional, experienced labour support to childbearing women and their supporters before, during and immediately after the birth of their baby.
Les Doulas de la vallée de Comox sont un groupe de femmes d’origines diverses qui offrent un soutien professionnel et d’expérience aux femmes enceintes et à leur entourage avant, pendant l’accouchement et immédiatement après la naissance de leur bébé.
We believe that every woman has the right to a gentle, informed, safe and supported birth. We are dedicated to enhancing women's birth experiences in the present so that future generations will also benefit.
- To provide physical and emotional support for the childbearing woman and her partner during and immediately after the birth of the baby;
- To make care affordable, regardless of ability to pay;
- To encourage choice based on knowledge of evidence-based and balanced alternatives;
- To support the woman in her birth choices;
- To provide a continuous, professional standard of care;
- To assist childbearing women in linking with community resources;
- To help protect a mother's birth memory.
In hiring a doula it is the consumers responsibility to check the doulas experience and/or certification. Not all doulas are trained or certified but they may still be very experienced and offer valuable support. Ask questions! The Comox Valley Doulas are a collective; this website was developed to provide informative, easy, "one-stop" access to multiple doulas; however, each doula listed on this site is a sole proprietor.